ABOUT: Ruislip Lido was originally constructed in 1811, when it was known as Ruislip Reservoir. It is in fact located some distance from Ruislip, therefore it connects to the Hayes Canal via a series of underground pipes. Its purpose as a reservoir was short-lived, and in 1933 the decision was made to turn it into a lido; a building containing a café and changing rooms was erected and the lido was officially opened to the public in 1936. Over the following decades it became hugely popular, and it was possible to water-ski, row and swim, an artificial beach, miniature railway and children’s playground were also developed on the site, however sadly in the 1970s the local council decided to up the admission prices, which resulted in a drop in attendance. The lido fell into demise and the main building was demolished after a fire in 1994. Today it is once again a popular weekend spot, but not for swimming. Instead, people turn up for a picnic, children can still make use of the playground and feed the geese, and the old café is now a pub and restaurant. There is no entry fee.