Set in 200 acres of parkland, Syon House used to be the site of a medieval abbey. Named after Mount Zion in the Holy Land, Syon House is the London home of the Duke of Northumberland, whose family have lived here for over 400 years.
The abbey, which was founded in 1415 by King Henry V, was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1539 and it was surrendered to the English crown during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The Abbey Church was discovered in 2003 by Channel 4’s Time Team!
Syon Park is still a popular place for wedding receptions and other parties and it is also used as a film location, for photographic shoots, exhibitions and fashion shows.
Syon Park borders the river Thames; its park and the lake were designed by Capability Brown in 1760, although the park and lake as we know it today is more in the style of the nineteenth century. In the extensive gardens, there is the Great Conservatory (completed in 1830).
Syon House is open from March to October from 11.00 to 17.00 hours.
The gardens are open daily from November to February from 10.30 to 16.00 hours.