Designed by Ernest Schaufelberg and first open on 3rd December 1930- The Adelphi Theatre seats more than fifteen hundred across three tiers. Before it current incarnation, the Adelphi Theatre existed as the Sans Pareil theatre in 1809. The Sans Pareil became the Adelphi in 1819 but the building was demolished in 1858 to allow the construction of the existing premises. After almost fifty years of entertainment the Adelphi was reconstructed in 1901 to conform to changes in safety law and to accommodate the increasing audience sizes. Schaufelberg’s design was realised during an almost complete rebuilding of the theatre in 1930, and it is this incarnation which is visible today.
The building is a fine example of the ‘Art Deco’ style. The name Adelphi is derived from the Greek word ‘Adelphoi’ meaning ‘brothers’- the theatre is built on land that was formerly occupied by a housing terrace established by the Adam brothers in the eighteenth century.
The Adelphi Theatre was heavily refurbished in 1993 in preparation for the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical ‘Sunset Boulevard.’ Since its refurbishment the Adelphi Theatre has staged a string of successful musicals- including the critically acclaimed ‘Chicago’.
The Adelphi Theatre is located in a Grade II listed ‘Art Deco’ building in London’s West End.