The American Embassy first moved to number one Grosvenor square in 1938. However the Embassy moved to the West side of the Square and the Canadian Embassy moved into number one. The building which now houses the American Embassy was designed by Eero Saarinen and completed in 1960. During the Second World War the Chancery occupied one side of Grosvenor Square and General Eisenhower’s headquarters the other- this led Londoners to refer to Grosvenor Square as ‘Little America’. A statue by Robert Green of Eisenhower was unveiled in 1989 stood across from the buildings the General resided in during the war years.
The Roosevelt memorial was funded entirely by the sale of a souvenir brochure to the British Public in 1946- symbolising the affection for the Americans and appreciation of their assistance during the war effort. More than 160,000 separate donations were accepted.
In May 1986 a memorial to the Eagle Squadron was erected- the Eagle Squadron was composed almost entirely of American volunteers to the British Air Force.
In the centre of Grosvenor Square is the September 11th memorial garden. Created and donated in remembrance of those who died in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre. The Diplomatic Gates in Grosvenor Square were donated in recognition of the continuing quest for peace, so admirably sought by both the American and British governments.