Designed in the 1930s by architect John Seely and completed in 1936, Eltham Palace was originally home to textile magnates of the day Stephen and Virginia Courtauld. The building is a very fine example of twentieth-century design and architecture.
There are plenty of unusual and interesting features to the site including the pink leather chairs and black and silver doors on display in the dining room and the 19 acres of gardens that surround the building featuring a sunken rose garden and a medieval bridge.
The Courtauld family remained at their London home until 1944. In 1945, they gave Eltham palace to the Royal Army Educational Corps who remained there until 1992. Since 1995 English Heritage has been in charge of the palace and completed major repairs and restorations in 1999.
The building is open to the public on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays from 10.00 - 17.00 (21st March through until 31st October; 1 November until 21st March: 11.00 - 16.00).
Eltham Palace can be hired for weddings and other functions.