The Jewel Tower may very well be the “jewel” in the crown of the Palace of Westminster. Built in the 1360s, it was first used to house the personal treasure of Edward III, and after becoming the official records office of the House of Lords, it survived the 1834 fire that consumed most of the Palace. Unlike the famed Westminster building, which has had to undergo many renovations throughout its history, the Jewel Tower has change very little over the last 650 years.
An impressive feat of medieval architecture, the high stone walls display exhibitions detailing the history of Parliament as well as the construction of the tower. There is also an Anglo-Saxon sword on display, along with a collection of historical weights and measures, harking back to the 19th century when the site was used as a testing facility to determine the official weights system.