Lauderdale House reopened in December 2016 following a huge refurbishment programme, and continues to proudly act as a community arts and education centre based in Highgate in north London. One of Highgate’s finest country houses, it was built in 1582 and inherited by the Earl of Lauderdale in 1645 (hence its name). In 1760, it was converted to a neoclassical style and in 1882 the owner Sir Sydney Waterlow, a famous printer, donated it 'for the enjoyment of Londoners'.
As an arts centre, Lauderdale House offers a wide variety of performances, workshops, outreach projects and exhibitions. They also organise concerts at Lauderdale House, as well as children's shows, crafts and antiques fairs. There is a cafe in the building and the premises can be hired for private events.