Little Holland House came into being in 1904. Its owner, Frank Reginald Dickinson, designed and constructed the house himself, inspired by John Ruskin and William Morris. Realising he would never be able to afford the sort of home that would reflect his taste, he decided to take matters into his own hands and make one himself. He bought a plot of land, studied trade journals and made his own furniture; the house was built with the help of a loan, two brothers and a labourer. Dickinson lived here till his death in 1961, and the local council bought the home after his widow moved to a nursing home. The Grade II listed interior is filled with Dickinson’s own paintings, metalwork, hand-made furnishings and carvings, all made in his beloved Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts style. Considering his limited wealth makes what he achieved seem all the more remarkable. The house is only open to the public on the first Sunday of every month, admission is free.