Pymmes Park has existed since 1327, when William Pymme made himself a mansion and surrounded it with the gardens. The estate changed hands several times and the size of the land seemed to increase each time, by 1899 when the local council purchased it the park had an area of 53 acres. The council’s plans were to provide an open green space for residents, seeing as there had been an increase in the population. It opened to the public in 1906, complete with a bandstand for public events. Sadly the old mansion, Pymmes House, was destroyed in a fire in 1940 and nothing remains today other than a small commemorative plaque. Today the park has 3 tennis courts, 5 football pitches, basketball court, bowling greens and children’s playgrounds. There is a lake frequented by ducks, geese and the odd heron, and bats are known to inhabit the trees. Great effort is put into maintaining the park and the ‘Old English Garden’, a walled-in area with 1930’s design that is Grade II listed; in fact the park has been recognised in the London in Bloom competition several times. The park opens at 8 am each morning and closes at dusk.