The Monument was built after the Great Fire of London to commemorate the redevelopment of the city after it was almost completely destroyed. Although the fire claimed few victims, it devastated many buildings, homes, businesses and streets. It did however put an end to the plague that had affected the city on and off for centuries.
Its location was chosen because it is close to where the fire began, in a baker’s house on Pudding Lane. Christopher Wren was the architect chosen for the project, and he designed a 61 metre tall Doric column, the height of which is the same as the distance between the monument and the starting point of the fire. Inside a staircase of 311 steps leads up to a viewing platform. It’s open to the public 7 days a week, and entry is £3 for adults and £1.50 for under-16s.
London's oldest attractions
Located on the corner of Fish Street Hill in the City, the 60 metre tall Monument was built to commemorate the rebuilding of London after the fire of 1666 that devastated so much of the capital. But it's more than just a column reaching into the sky - inside there are 311 steps, at the top of which there are panoramic views over the city. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren, it was finished in 1677.