Wimbledon Common, Putney Heath and Putney Lower Common Commons together cover an area of 1,140 acres of countryside between Wimbledon, Putney and Kingston-upon-Thames. The area is part of London’s largest expanse of heathland, and consists of woodland, scrubland, mown recreation areas and several ponds. The Commons are home to a large variety of bird, animal and plant life. There are unfenced areas, which are open to the public 24 hours a day throughout the year, however, these are patrolled daily from dawn to dusk by the Commons’ Keepers. On the Commons, there are a number of staff cottages, as well as a cafe, the Pavilion, stables, the Ranger's Office, an Information Centre and the Windmill, which has been turned into a museum.
The Commons are protected by law (Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act of 1871) from being enclosed or built upon, not only for the benefit of the locals, who use the Commons for recreation purposes but also for the preservation of natural flora and fauna.