Where: Blackfriars Railway Bridge, SE1 9UD
Have you ever noticed the sets of red columns that protrude out of the river Thames next to Blackfriars Bridge? Affectionately nicknamed 'old stumpy', these were actually part of a second bridge, built in 1864 by Joseph Cubitt and demolished in the 80s after it was decided it was too weak to support modern trains; but for some reason the supporting stumps were left behind.
They are an interesting sight, as the rich brick-red colums look like they've been dunked in the river and abandoned. Also worth a photo is the ornate crest of the London Chatham and Dover Railway, dating back to the Victorian era (they don't make them like that anymore...)
Fun fact: the columns once stood in sets of threes, but one set was assumed into the newer railway bridge in 2011.
To view them, exit Blackfriars station and head to the Thames Path on the south side, or to embankment alongside Blackfriars Underpass on the northern side.